A very white night out

My best friend Lynn, wanted to take me out for my birthday (how sweet) she made reservations in the city at this amazing Puerto Rican restaurant, Sazon (amazing food, but on the pricey side). The night was like any other night, filled with "how have you been's" "ex-boyfriend monologues" and "I really missed you" and don't forget laughter, there's always laughter (or crying but that's another story.) Since I am writing about her, I feel the need to just say "She's truly amazing" but back to the story..

We were having a good time: eating and listening to Spanish music; the type that made you want to get out of your chair and dance, so you could imagine our faces when the bill came; we were sad not because of the damage about to be done on Lynn's credit card (or at least not for me) but because we didn't want the night to end.


As we left the Spanish restaurant and entered the thick, cold New York city air, thoughts of what happens next became a clear question. Sazon was great, great food, great music, hey even the waiter was great but we didn't want the night to end just like that, so we decided to go on an adventure. It was a Sunday night, typically there isn't much going on, but we were in the city that never sleeps so we thought we'd give it a try.

We walked what seemed like to India and back (10 blocks), in 13 degree weather. The area was filled with coffee shops (closed), boutiques (closed), and restaurants (that were about to close) we decided enough was enough, lets just go home. Walking back to the car, we saw a group of women leaving this building, after a few seconds of studying it; we realized it was a bar. "Hey, you want to grab a couple of drinks" Lynn asked "yeah, sure" I said. So having almost given up on the thought of an adventure, we decided that bar would be the place we'd officially end the night.

Upon entering the bar, we were just so happy white people!
to be in a place that wasn't the same temperature as outside, the bouncer politely asked for our IDs (21+) as we proceeded into the main part of the bar, we realized there were only

Umm Lynn, where are we? We looked at each other and so did everyone at the bar (or at least that's what it felt like) What to do? Leave? Stay? I mean don't get me wrong, I love white people and surprisingly, they love me, but it was just a little shock to them and us, both. That we were black and they were all white. However, I needed a drink.

With the Eric Garner and Ferguson cases, personally I feel like there has been some racial tension. Everyone has to be politically correct and extra careful how they talk and act. I am not going to lie, I didn't know how the night would turnout, but we ordered our drinks anyway.

To make a long story short, Lynn and I had a great time, we socialized, danced, drank beer (yuck!) and didn't allow because our skin color was different ruin or stop us from having a good night.

It was my first time, being in a setting were it was all white people. Yes, I did get some stares but I also got some smiles and some "Hello's and Hey my name is..."

Lynn and I could have easily turned around, "Oh only white people, we better get out" but the way we saw it is Fun has no color.

Comments

Popular Posts