Going Natural, the real story...




You guys may not know this but I'm natural (taa da!), my hair hasn't been chemically processed since July 23, 2013. No perms, no dyes and no heat on my hair. (Yes, I'm crazy) but I enjoy seeing my hair as my hair. No alterations, no disguises, just my hair as it is. I do put protective styles like: braids and wigs but that's because I don't have the time to style it on a day to day bases, but once mama comes home (I'm mama. lol) the wig comes off and it's just my hair and I. Now everyone has their own reasons as to why they decided to go natural : Perms and straighteners were thinning their hair, wanted to be in touch with their roots (literally), or just tired of following Western ideologies that straight hair is beautiful. As for me, the reason why I went natural.... you ready? I was broke, (Yup that's it) the upkeep of getting my hair permed, buying four bundles of Brazilian hair, and then going to a hair salon and having someone sew it all up was something I couldn't afford. I tried rocking my real hair, but my edges had suffered enough with all the weaves and perms. I tried believe me, I tried.

I would be in the bathroom for hours, hat I never knew. At that moment I realized I wasn't my hair (India Arie) and that I was still beautiful on the inside and outside. A big shout out to my parents for giving me a good shape head, that helped a lot.
Googling, going on Youtube, playing with my hair, asking friends for hairstyles I could rock while I passed my financial drought and nothing worked. One day I went into the bathroom, slicked my hair down and saw someone I hadn't seen before. It was me, but different. I kinda liked it, this new me. So I went to the kitchen and ran upstairs, looked in the mirror and the person, the me I saw in the mirror two seconds ago was gone. I slicked my hair back and there she was. Without hesitation, I grabbed the scissors and began cutting, with every snip the new me was coming out, with every piece of hair that fell onto the bathroom floor, I became a new woman. At that moment, I wasn't hiding behind a weave, wig, or braids. I was bare, natural and me, something I hadn't been for a while. I went natural because I was broke, but being natural show me how beautiful I am.

This journey haven't been easy: deep-conditioning, detangling, humidity, and twist outs are just some of the things I deal with, but at the end it's all worth it.

Please I'm interested in knowing your natural journey or why you decided to go natural. Hit up my email: imokwuah2@gmail or leave your story in the comment box. Sharing is caring. Have a beautiful day!! 

Comments

Popular Posts